View Single Post
Old 24th January 2024, 03:12 PM

Default D3 S8 - potentially ruinous now?

Mods please move if this is the wrong section…

I miss my D3 4.2tdi, it was replaced by an F11 535d as I hoped it would be more of a drivers car but even with the variable dampers it wallows and isn’t that cosseting in comfort+, and doesn’t handle that well in sport. Probably run flats are to blame, it’s reasonably quick similar to a remapped 4.2tdi but I’ve never bonded with it. Even the fabled ZF 8 speed is not enough to save it.

I’m thinking about an S8 V10 with 80k miles, great spec including B&O which I’ve always wanted. it’s a long way from me so haven’t been able to look at it, but I woke up in the night with all the stories of engine out jobs like starter motor, perished hoses, rear oil seal etc. With potentially no evidence of these being done if the car just has ‘regular’ servicing, are these issues inevitable between 80-100k? What can be checked visuals and what will only appear when things go wrong? Or do you buy one and find somewhere to take the engine out and do all the jobs at once - starter, all the gaskets, oil seal, pas pipes etc? The car is up for £12.5k