View Single Post
Old 26th August 2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post

This is my favourite so far. Its in reach, doesn't obscure anything, is simple enough to mount, and could either float there or have a mounting pod contoured to blend in to the dash. The brains of the unit would sit in the original aperture and be connected by a ribbon cable - they specifically support this option with a longer cable available.

I initially discounted these units as pure touch screens because of no volume control, but look what I found on their web site:

This is a radio remote control which fits in a cupholder. Looking at other pics of it, I think it may be possible to shrink it a little and put it where the menu button lives. I've already relocated my menu button to under the armrest to make room for a PF double cupholder, but I might be persuaded to relinquish the extra space for a stereo control unit.

The double-din dash aperture could be repurposed to include a Brodit phone holder with USB cable to achieve charging and the connection to the head unit for Android Auto.

Obviously all of this is very dependent on the units being competently functional and sounding good of course. Based on Joying's forum, this appears to be a bit pot luck but I suspect we'll find that with all of these types of unit.

Thoughts welcome...
I agree with your favourite positioning MJ and the use of a controller in the console is a bonus. Looks to be the same eyeline as in my 5 series, less distraction when using the sat nav.

Maybe a Brodit phone holder or pop out cup holders

Biggest concern is the audio output...
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!