View Single Post
Old 13th December 2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
My D2 did it, my D3 did it, my D4 does it - all on standard wheels, either summer or winter tyres. My S4 does, all of my S4's have! Sometimes worse than others, never really correlated it though.

The diff locking makes some sense though, I could be talking twaddle but I guess that you normally want the diffs to lock when both wheels have lost traction - but that when they do lock then if you still have some traction you get the judder. So on ice, mud etc no issue, but a bit of slip means you feel the judder.

In that scenario the perfect storm could be cold weather, tyre wear, wheels at lock (camber), wet surface, shiny car park surface - or any combination of the above???

edited to add, I don't see it as a fault, just a quattro characteristic
Quattro isn't true 4x4. It'll only be the centre diff that can lock as you don't have a proper diff on the front and as far as I'm aware the rear hasn't got LSD. EDL is controlled by the brakes? so it's not really a locking diff as such but torsional in the centre to allow power to the front or rear depending on slip, brakes then apply to slipping wheels separately like ABS to allow wheels with grip to grip. If you had real diff lock on both axles, on full lock on tarmac something would go bang big time.
MJ will know the technicalities of it but that's how I understand it.
Alvis Stalwarts with (true) 6x6 had bevel boxes with huge bronze gears inside, The centre no-spin differential allowed a certain amount of slip between the two sets of wheels on each side of the vehicle on hard surfaces, but there was no allowance for rotational speed differences between front and rear. If they are driven on a hard surface for long periods then you have to jack them up and allow the wheels to spin as the suffer with windup, If you don't than BANG! and is why on the hubs they painted a line so you can see if one wheel is out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stolly.png
Views:	222
Size:	5.03 MB
ID:	17626  

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 13th December 2017 at 08:31 AM.