View Single Post
Old 21st February 2019, 07:05 PM

Thanks for that info, it's really helpful to understand your use case and experience.
My experience (regardless of the car) is the pad choice is vital but stick to OEM or your suggested Tier 1 list and you'll usually good.
Turns out (with a bit of googling) they don't really make discs out of steel, they are grey cast Iron GG-204 (unless you have the S8 ceramics!). It, like any commercial alloy has standards. I'm not saying a backstreet Chinese set won't be made from recycled bicycles but they will mostly be made of the same thing.
I don't over-winter a car and never have (unless you talk about the Lancia Beta that slowly dissolved in front of my eyes-ahem). I drive them so the long term build up you see is not a problem for me. Obviously buying a new set every time you take the car out would be be inconvenient.
I'd be very interested to see the quality of the casting and subsequent machining for any disc vs OEM. eg sharpness of the cast, number of fins, % of disc material to fin thickness etc.
If you don't over winter the car, don't do track days or daily alpine passes and the discs look OK from a manufacturing point of view I'd try them, especially if they are manufactured in the EU. What is the price of a set of D4 Audi OEM front discs and pads?