View Single Post
Old 8th March 2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The only other item is my Bentley manual which uses eBahn software.
To be fair I haven't tried running it on W10 other than inside an XP VM under Oracle VirtualBox, but rummaging around online it looks like many have tried but all have failed.

There's also an authentication process for any new installation that may no longer be working so maybe I'll stick with Oracle for that, assuming there's a working environment available for my existing VM.
Or maybe I won't.....I lied here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'm doing nothing until the replacement CMOS battery arrives in the post......

...But first I'll get the latest VirtualBox and check that works with my existing VMs.
I went online to check my Bentley licence and the activation/management servers all seem to be up and running.
It reminded me that I'm actually allowed 2 installs, and each one can be activated/de-activated 6 times each calendar year.

I currently have one licence active, that's the one on XP-SP3 inside VirtualBox.
The other being spare I thought "Why not try and activate it on XP-SP3 inside Hyper-V?".
So I just did. Doing it offline is equally tortuous to the Microsoft process but it works. Another 10 minutes of tedium!

So I now have two working installations of my Bentley D2 A8/S8 manual, one each of VirtualBox and Hyper-V.
Due to the way VirtualBox (and hopefully Hyper-V) works you can just move (even replicate) the working VM between systems without further activation.

So it looks like my new/old laptop will be running without Oracle, just native Microsoft. VCDS and Bentley are my main tools.

Though to achieve "The Full Monty" I now need to get my hands on native Windows 10 versions of ELSAWIN and ETKA...…….
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th March 2021 at 09:54 PM.