View Single Post
Old 1st August 2021, 09:12 PM

Update:

It's out! Having spent the last two weeks alternating between sulking and applying PB Blaster, I plucked up the courage to apply the blow torch. Boiling water did bugger-all and the Blaster didn't make any difference.

Thanks for the replies and the links. I was wary about overheating and damaging the alloy suspension leg. I swaddled the rubber bits with wet rags and used a moderate flame to warm the bolt and surrounding alloy. Using a 6 sided socket on a bar, the bolt turned a little easier than before. Little by little, it started to come out. I thought it had sheared at one point, but given the size and strength of the bolt it would take more than me on the end of a short breaker bar.

A small file was used to clear the crud of out of the hole on the suspension leg - this had packed itself so tightly around the bolt that none of the penetrating oil had got in. It didn't need a lot of heat, gently does it.

On a happier note, the pinch bolt seems reasonably free. I will buy some new ones and replace as a preventative measure.

One side almost done. Wonder what the other side will be like...