View Single Post
Old 18th November 2018, 05:27 PM

Default Chain tensioner pad replacement 40V engine

Hello guys; I am experiencing some semi-cold strart rattling-knocking but it's not always present. If I start the car when going back from work, sitting 8-9 hours it does it. If I leave the car sit fot 24 hours it's okay.
I first changed out the oil check valves sitting in the upper "oil sump" under the Intake manifold, it didn't do the trick. We changed it as we were removing the manifold because of the LPG.
Few days ago I made an oil flush, first added a litre of an ATF and drove for 100kms, then the Liqui Moly Pro Line Engine flush, 15 min of Idling before the oil change. After we drained the oil and changed the filter I added some cheap 5w-40 (Mannoil) just to flush the engine and ran it for additional 15min again not to be contaminated with the Flushing agent and ATF; as it's always at least 0,5L leftover oil in the sump an 0,5L in the engine. Then we removed the sump for inspection and possible sludge removal and contrary of my expectations, it was pretty clean (for 400.000km engine!). The only problem we found in the sump were broken parts of the chain tensioner. (final topup after the "cheap oil" drain was Mobil 1 0W-40 with new Mann Filter)

Click image for larger version

Name:	E6C9CDB8-3C90-4A7C-9AB0-4FBB44114CA4.jpeg.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	20445

Now as my chain tensioners wor flawlesly I'll only replace the pads, but as I'm reading the world's forums, it's quite a job! As an experienced tech guy I'm able to do this at my friend's shop with his help but I need to know what exactly I need to do, what are the torques for the cam holders etc... And I don't own a bentley manual! If someone has it' I'm willing to pay for few pages on this thematics.
So my questions are:
Has anyone done it; has anyone some information about the torques on the bolts; in what position has the engine to be for this "operation" etc...
I know I need tensioner compression tool, it's only few EUR on the ebay...
I could replace the upper pads without removing the cam tensioner and cams but it's a bad idea as they Will fail eventually...

Thanks for any kind of help!

Last edited by Versace; 18th November 2018 at 05:35 PM.