View Single Post
Old 18th November 2018, 09:10 PM

Procedures are attached. There is a slight difference between the two heads - basically the number of chain links between the notches on the cams. As long as you mark them carefully before you take them out the number of links is only needed as a reference. If you're careful (and have a second person) you can do it without removing the chain from the inlet cam.

As I mentioned, I leave the exhaust cam in place by leaving cam caps 4 and 5. Remove 1 and 2 though to give you space to lift up the inlet cam and slide the tensioner out. It won't come out with 2 in place.

Most important when putting the cams back with the engine in the car - make sure you keep tension on the bottom of the chain at all times by holding the inlet cam tight. The chain likes to kink underneath the tensioner and then you can't get the cam back in its journals. It should just drop in place. If it doesn't, or the cam caps are too tight then take a sip of coffee, remove the tensioner and start again. When you get it right it will all just drop in.

Also, its worth getting some M6x50 bolts to seat the first two cam caps. Use these to hold the cam in place, but don't over-tighten them since obviously they are too long. Once the cam is settled, put the other caps on it and then replace the M6x50 with the original M6x40s then tighten them down fully. I have found that there isn't quite enough thread on the original bolts to start pulling the cam down and you risk ripping the threads out of the head. You'll see what I mean when you get in to it.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v8camcaps.jpg
Views:	1982
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	20471  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V8camtensionerleft.pdf (313.3 KB, 462 views)
File Type: pdf V8camtensionerright.pdf (280.7 KB, 484 views)