View Single Post
Old 29th August 2013, 09:01 AM

Default D3 A8 hard shifting problem

Hi,

I'm new. it's my first post!

I've been searching the forum and found a few helpful posts on this issue however at the risk of getting myself in trouble already for asking questions that have already been answered 100 times, here is my situation. it's slightly different from the others i've read on here hence i thoguht a new post was justified....

I have a 2003 53 plate D3 A8 4.2 petrol auto box hard shift problem from 2nd to 3rd. Car has 66k on it.

I've got the SVM number relating to this problem (NA4E37AA01) and i've given that to Audi Aberdeen.

They are telling me they need to change the gearbox oil to the blue oil and perform a software update.

Only slight problem is i've just paid ''A for Audi'' in Clydebank (you know of them?) nearly £400 3 weeks ago to change the oil and filter in the box! But not to the blue oil - they put the original spec oil back in!!

They had a look at the hard shift issue but didn't know about this software update. I only found out about it after finding the posts on here a few days ago.

So my questions are:

1) Since i have new ''old spec'' oil, do you know if the software update could be done succesfully whilst retaining the old spec oil (i.e. not changing to blue oil?)

2) To anyone that's had it done already - who did the work for you? Most of the posts i've found are suggesting it's a main dealer only that will do the software update but that problem with that is, they won't do it unless i let them change the oil to blue so the total bill will be £1050 on top of the £400 i've already spent at ''A for Audi'' having the old spec oil replaced.

3) A for Audi, whilst not knowing about it initially, have been given the SVM number by me and they said they phoned the company they get their software from and they reckon they can perform the software update and said they'd do it without changing to blue oil as they think it would be OK. Does that sound plausable? i.e. getting the software update done outwith the main dealer network?

I'm on the verge of giving a dealer £1050 which i will if i have to but please help with your experience if you can!

Thanks very much!

Regards,

Chris Cruickshank