View Single Post
Old 29th August 2013, 11:34 AM

Hi Psyche,

A 4 Audi not doing the software update free of charge but at £50 per hour for labour and a couple of hours to do the upgrade, it's 1/10th of the price of the main dealer!

The main problem isn't really the main dealer prices, it's the ''blue'' oil. The box takes 10.4 litres and they need another 10.4 litres to flush the old ''gold'' oil out. So you have to buy 21 litres of ''blue'' oil at £24+VAT per litre. So that's £605 just for the oil. Then you've to buy the filter, the gasket set and 3 hours labour at main dealer prices.

What car did you have the upgrade done on? Was it your 06 4.2 tdi or was it another car?

I suppose i could try the software upgrade first with A 4 Audi then if it doesn't work, try the blue oil as a last resort but i would have thought the software telling the box to work differently would have been the main cure?

It says in the bulletin from Audi that the main cause of the hard shift is deterioration in the cluthces in the box. The electronis can only compensate for this to a small degree and on some cars, this software update is required to significantly change how the computer tells the cluthces in the box to operate. That reprogramming of the box to use the cluthces differently is what fixes it but they say to use the ''blue'' oil also...

the main dealers are telling me you can't do one without the other but all three i've discussed it with were only reading from the Audi bulletin, they didnlt actually know from experience as they openly admitted becuase it's quite an obscure problem.

So hard to know what to do as throwing a total of £1450 at it between the service i've just had done to replace the ''gold oil'' and now this ''blue'' option seems excessive.

I know if you put the ''blue'' oil in without the software update, it eventually kills the box (someting to do with the change in friction on the clutches - the new software compensates for that) but what i don't know is if you do it the other way round i.e. the software update without the blue oil, will that cause any harm.....

aaaarrghhhhhhh

Thanks,

Chris