View Single Post
Old 31st August 2013, 11:44 AM

Hi,

Yes there is also a recognised problem with the hooting that Audi issued a bulletin to cover and the fix is the blue oil and software update to handle the different friction characteristics of the blue oil but the hard shift problem I have is a separate problem that Audi also officially issued a fix for. I have the old gold spec oil but I don't have or never had the hooting problem.

The hard shift was present before the gold oil was changed for new gold oil. The oil change made no real difference to the hard shift but did give a slight increase to the change quality (when it doesn't do a hard shift!)

The SVM update detailed in the Audi bulletin is to reprogram the box to cure the hard shifts which are caused by wear in the clutches apparently but it says to change to the blue oil too. It makes sense that an oil change would be a good idea as part of the procedure however what I do 't know is if they say to change to blue, just because that was the latest spec of oil available at the time the bulletin was issued or if the blue oil MUST be used if the software update is installed.

I know if you change to blue oil you HAVE to get the software update otherwise the different friction characteristics of the new oil will slowly kill the box but I need to know if the same applies the other way round. I.e. software update to cure hard shift but if you leave the old gold spec oil in, will that kill the box just like it would if you changed to blue with no software update.

Yes have laptop but I hate IT so don't have the software or cable. I know I'm stupid but I hate messing about with tech so much I'd rather pay to have it fixed.

Thanks for opinions so far. I think it's just so obscure no one will know. I think, having slept on it for a while, I'll try Mackie's in glasgow, if they don't know the answer I'll call ZF then failing that I'll just pay the £1050 for the main dealer to do the proper job. Car only at 60k and no plans to sell for many years so in the grand scheme of things, I should just man up and pay up! I have to do something though as the hard shift really eats at me to the point I get in a bad mood about it almost daily!

Cheers

Chris