Thread: Wanted a8 d2
View Single Post
Old 6th March 2017, 12:44 PM

I've had a FL S8, then a PF S8 and now a PF D3 4.2 sport.

The FL S8 is the one I miss actually, though the D3 is a much more modern car and I don't think the 4.2 sport is far removed from the performance of the D2 S8 it never feels quick. It's fast, it's comfy and the toys are great but I still miss the FL S8.

The PF S8 was cheap and it was quite nice, but it wasn't a patch on the FL and yeah that glass was irritating as to get a good GPS signal i had to put my stereo's antenna through the sun roof. The gearbox died and wouldn't come back to life. It had servicing paperwork too. MY FL did 230ish on the first gearbox without being touched (and i did 100k of those). Mine had a prins LPG and that worked great. It eventually threw valves into pistons as I think the timing chain jumped in the variable timing - i'd replaced both over the years and I think that's a minor weakness in the FL D2

The D3 seems to have improved the reliablity with gearbox and engine. Though i've heard bad things about the 4.0TDI and given current governmental thoughts on Diesel i'd avoid it even more. My 4.2 petrol is good on a long run getting late 20s to early 30s but short runs are late teens to early 20s, though that's better than either S8 was!

Lee