View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2017, 02:34 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Possibly although its worth checking if the carpet is damp. Its under the carpet under the passenger seat. I'll try and find a number later.
The carpets are bone dry now (and have been for a long time) but, like most D2 owners, I have had one or two incidences of blocked drains and water ingress over the years, so it's probably worth opening it up and giving it a clean-up and check over. That is if I can find it ...

I've just had a quick look under the seat. There seems to be something under the carpet near where the wiring loom enters. I assume that the seat and numerous bits of trim need to be removed to get to it (without resorting to slashing the carpet open)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
The front caliper creakiness is (was, in my case) associated with the pads jamming in the stainless steel pad guides held in place on the aluminium caliper block by torx headed screw which is impossible(?) to remove without splitting the block. The corrosion between the s/steel and aluminium forces the guide outer edges which then clamp on the pads. You can do a certain amount of cleaning out the corrosion with the calipers removed using emery paper etc but its difficult to get the guides to resume their former shape. You can, of course, file down the edges of the pads so that they can fit but its not really a solution. Thats the point at which I got mine refurbished.
I suggest you test the temperature of the discs after a run to see if there is any overheating but its a certainty that wthout some work, it will develop into overheating pads/discs at some point in the near future.
Thanks David

I'll ask the garage to take a look at them and see what they think. Who refurbished your callipers and what's the general consensus for the best place(s) now? I seem to remember there was some mixed experiences/reviews with some of the refurbishers. Is there one particular refurbisher who does a consistently good job?

And is there a substantial difference in price between refurbished and new (OEM)?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust