View Single Post
Old 4th March 2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
Auto folding wing mirrors when locking the car. Why isn't this a thing
That's a very good point! My Dad's Merc has that and its really handy. They fold when you lock it and unfold when you open a door. I keep meaning to look at the D2 diagrams to see if I can figure out how to do it, and now I'm reminded when I'm not sitting in a Merc I shall do so...

Edit: So, its actually a dedicated control unit, obviously. It has a single input telling it to fold the mirrors, which should be simple enough to subvert The challenge is going to be powering that unit with the ignition off, since its run from the X contact (switched ignition via a relay). It will need to be powered up independently of the rest of the car in order to fold the mirrors while locking, and the fold signal will have to remain energised until the control unit is powered down.

That I'm thinking is to feed it via a diode and have a relay connected to the 'lock' signal from the central locking. The relay would both feed the unit and also give it the fold signal. When the car locks the mirrors fold. When the ignition is switched on, the unit powers up without the fold signal so it unfolds them. It might be possible to use the close-windows signal to do this, so you'd hold the lock button on the remote to fold the mirrors

2nd edit: Yes, definitely possible to hook up the convenience closing function to the mirror folding, so you hold the lock button and the mirrors fold They unfold as soon as you turn on the ignition. It'll need a diode and a pair of relays, one with a slight delay. I reckon it could actually be done inside the driver's door, since both the wires we need run through there

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 4th March 2018 at 09:18 PM.