View Single Post
Old 8th July 2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I think we're all familiar with the awful droning/rumbling sound of a passing "hot hatch" with an excessive aftermarket sound system.
(Almost as bad as the tinny tiss-tiss from headphones that started with the Sony Walkman - that should be a capital offence subject to on-the-spot execution, but I digress)

Anyway I was running my car today just sitting on the drive (retuning the DVB-T) and decided to listen to a bit of Pink Floyd to pass the time.
"Comfortably Numb" at a volume to make you feel exactly that was my "weapon of choice".

Part way through I realised I wanted something from the boot so stepped out; it sounded quite loud with the door open.
But when I shut the door it was almost inaudible, standing right next to the car.
A tribute to the standard of sound insulation Audi put into these cars. Double glazing probably helps too.
Ah! a man after my own heart! Just sitting on the drive listening to good music on a (reasonably) good sound system! And with the barely audible background of a V8
You are right though, the insulation IS good. Even quiet, detailed music (try acoustic guitar) sounds good (when inside!) and travelling at speed. I would love to hear a B&O system though.... I did mean to ask one of those lucky enough to have B&O at the annual meet if I could have a listen but never got around to it.