Thread: Fuel Suppliers
View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:48 PM

Over the years I've had occasional bad petrol from all sorts of petrol station brands, including Shell.

I'm not a particular fan of Tesco, but I'd expect them to resolve a problem like this pretty quickly to avoid bad publicity (which this article hints that they are doing…). They own all their stations (on supermarket sites), whereas the great majority of Shell stations are franchises, so their standards of customer management are, in my experience, much more variable.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Shell's V-Power was a marketing response to Tesco introducing Momentum 99 in the UK (though I'm happy to be proved wrong on this…): it's the only supermarket chain offering this - the others offer only 97 RON petrol, and some (e.g. Morrisons) rarely have anything other than standard unleaded, which is probably bought on the wholesale market, and which I'd never put in my S8 or Coupe.

I still use a mix of Shell, BP, and Tesco Momentum, but would only choose between them on price these days.