View Single Post
Old 28th November 2019, 09:41 AM

Yes, we fitted them to Mike's Murple before the last Germany roadtrip as we were supposed to be going round the Nurburgring.

The Spax RSX set is designed to lower the car at least 2-3" - when we first fitted it the car just sat on the bump stops! It was so low it wouldn't even come off the lift arms. We eventually wound the springs up far enough to get about the same ride height as my grey S8 which was quite an ordeal since access is very difficult and we nearly halved the free length of the springs. With the damping set to 50%, the ride was firm but acceptable. We did 2500 miles in a week on 19" wheels and it was certainly not objectionably hard.

I think Spax have simply used the same damper body on the D2 as they have on the B5 and C5 as it is really just too short for the application. It would be feasible to contrive a lower bracket to lift the mounting up by 2", but its a bit of a faff. The rear was much the same, although since the spring and damper are separate it would need changes to both for that to work. A spacer on the spring is easy enough but the damper is still too short, however that is easier to solve at the rear than the front.

If it weren't for that, I would be happy to recommend the kit. I've spoken to the Spax guys at the Autosport show about custom applications before, so it might be worth asking them if they can make a sensible ride height version for us.

Edit - pinged Spax a message to see if they're interested in making a 'road use' version of the kit

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 28th November 2019 at 10:23 AM.