View Single Post
Old 10th January 2017, 09:41 AM

After 7 months we at last have a fix and the Egertons Breakdown guy was right - starter relay! I took the car to QRS Auto Service, Tattenhall for a service and (hopefully) a fix (my first visit and won't be the last). Fault was Relay J329 (370) cost £14.95 + VAT and to be on the safe side also changed J53 & J695 (381).

The fault didn't show on any scans and it seems if it doesn't nobody can be bothered to look further. My own garage, on advice from a mobile auto electrician, replaced the alternator,starter motor, comfort ECU and ignition switch. For which we will now have an interesting discussion about the bill. My local Audi recoded the ECU, refusing to until I paid for a VW battery, had the car for two separate weeks and did nothing other than start it every hour. Another local auto electrician had the car for a day suggested a (non-specific) relay at around £60.

Thanks to everybody who contributed especially Ray for the scan because it all helped narrow down the issue.

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles