Thread: My 01 S8
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2022, 07:21 PM

Update continued. I'm now getting ready to replace the stock valve springs with the SuperTech Prefromance valve spring kit that I bought. Do I really need to replace the stock valve spring? Probably not but with all the researching that I've done with these cars I found out that it's possible that a valve spring could break. It's a risk I'm not willing to take, so with replacing them will ease my mind. This is the reason why I haven't really driven the car in a long time.

Since this car had a electric fan installed, I'm going to try and clean up all the wiring that has been routed in the engine bay. The main one is this relay that was mounted to the air box.

The area that I'm thinking about mounting the relay to is this frame for the air box but not sure which spot to mount it where it won't be in the way.

Which one of these 3 locations is the best place to mount the relay where it's not interfering with something?

I removed the washer tank and found out that there was a rubber grommet inside .

I removed the left side spark plugs and all 4 of them look like this. What is causing the oil on the plugs? How concerned should I be?

What is this wire for (at the red arrow)?

This is what the left cylinder head looks like. Any tips on removing the cam shafts so I can replace the valve springs?

It looks like the cam chain tensioner had new pads installed before I bought this car.

Right cylinder head.

Right cam chain tensioner.

This is the underside of the left cam cover and the grey color that you see is the high temp sealant that I used when I replaced the cam cover gaskets.
This probably isn't going to be fun cleaning off this sealant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount relay 1.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	28570   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount relay 2.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	28571   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount relay 3.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	28572   Click image for larger version

Name:	washer jug.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	28573   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber grommet 1.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	28574   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber grommet 2.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	28575   Click image for larger version

Name:	spark plug.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	28576   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	929.4 KB
ID:	28577   Click image for larger version

Name:	lt cyl head.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	28578   Click image for larger version

Name:	lt cam chain.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	28579  

Click image for larger version

Name:	lt cam cover.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	28580   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt cyl head.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	28591   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt cam chain.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	28592  

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.

Last edited by Audifan; 29th May 2022 at 09:38 PM.