View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Hmmm.

Speaking as an EV owner, I just don't find this new battery that exciting.

I think non-EV owners, who still have range anxiety concerns are seeing the big mileage numbers and think it must be the solution to all our problems.

I can find electricity pretty much anywhere in the country to charge my car. 3 pin outlets, commandos, Type 2 outlets, Superchargers. Literally, everywhere.

Where on earth do I find a stockist of these super batteries - and if they are the same size or weight as Teslas - how the hell do you change that in 90 seconds ? - That's some going.

Also, does it deliver current in the same way as the traditional EV batteries. Do you get performance, or does it dribble out power at Nissan leaf type levels of thrill...... if so, no thanks.

There is no doubt that battery tech will continue to improve, but honestly, the battery tech I've already got seems to be working just fine......
I didn't see any mention of how it delivers the current, as an indication of where they are it seems they are looking to power bicycles and TukTuks to start with!

There are plans for service stations to stock the batteries but as with anything new this would take time and need the demand to happen. The benefits over current battery tech are that it's fully (?) recyclable being made from aluminium and also the chemicals used for the electricity production are non-toxic.

I should imagine that a smaller and easier to change battery would be the way forward, making changing easier and quicker but still with a reasonable range. There was also mention that it would be better for larger vehicles as the power to weight is so much better compared with lithium-ion.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)