View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
That said, the purchase experience wasn't great.... Quite stressful really with the lack of feedback, very nearly cancelled a couple of times - but - soooooooo glad I stuck it out.
I suspect the Tesla ownership experience is a lot better than the more average end of the EV market. My 3 month wait for a Renault Zoe to be delivered turned into 7, with almost zero contact from them unless I chased them. It spend 3 months out of the first 24 off the road, and by 30 months things had deteriorated so much with both the car and the ownership experience that I handed it back under VT, and bought the A8.

Much of the problem stemmed from the fact that when it went wrong the garages struggle to put it right, and the manufacturers still think in the mindset of "normal" car manufacture, so the software is already out of date when released and doesn't get any further attention. The central control system was built on an Android version that was already 2 revisions out of date by the time my car arrived.

Tesla seem much more able to get it right in this respect, entirely geared towards EV rather than mixed with ICE and with constant software evolution. However, for the average man on the street they're still very much priced out of reach, for the moment at least. For even the entry level model 3, I'm looking at double the cost of the Leon Cupra I currently lease.