View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
I ordered a set of struts (2nd hand genuine) and they made a difference but just lacked those few mm to get it to pull itself up. I then adjusted the bolts mentioned in this thread and I finally managed to get it to work!
Ok this stopped working not long after the 'new' struts were in. I took the tow hook out and it was still touch and go, eventually failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I stumbled across a YouTube video yesterday and that is exactly what they were doing. Didn't understand what they were saying, as it was in German, but the part number is 4F5827249B.
This is the cure! I ordered a set of buffers with the above part number from TPS. They are originally for an A6 but are exactly the same except they have the spring loaded bit. changed over in 2 mins and it popped open wth ease but would not close. I then put the tow hook back into the took kit and it now opens and closes as it should. For around £11, I would advise people to try these first rather than buying new struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I took out my warning triangle and tow hook and it now works
If I adjust those bolts so that it opens it kind of explodes open with a thud and I was worried something like a hinge would break. I want to find springs to put on top of these bolts or instead of them.
Mine does pop quite loudly but it doesn't seem to be stressing anywhere. I will adjust mine back to see if it still works.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder