View Single Post
Old 31st August 2014, 05:48 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Hi Mark

We're an independent company, so there's no-one directing what we do. But we've not developed a cure, just a better way of diagnosing the disease. Invasive Fungal Disease affects those whose immune system is suppressed (patients being treated for AIDS, cancer, transplants and so on) and can carry a mortality rate of >60%. Our system provides a much quicker diagnosis (hours rather than days) so that treatment can begin sooner and increase the chances of survival.
As for my earlier work in a lab, I was in the Public Health Lab - no research, just routine
analysis of samples from ill patients (did you ever wonder where that blood sample that your GP took ended up?).
But I don't share your view of cancer research - most cancers these days are curable and there have been huge advances in treatment over the last couple of decades. The problem is, the more we learn how to cure early-onset disease, the longer we live and the more likely we are to suffer from late-onset disease. And most cancers are not really a 'disease' - they're a manifestation of our own bodies malfunctioning. Cells that would normally be regulated to stop growing and dividing when they should, just keep on multiplying, causing a 'cancer'.
Once you start me on this stuff, I'm hard to stop!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).