View Single Post
Old 14th April 2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyMike View Post
...since I changed the Cylinder 5 coil pack yesterday, it has eliminated the multiple cylinder misfires across BOTH banks!

Logically, I believe that they would be independently wired, but the frequent (several times daily), multiple cylinder misfire codes for the last few days have DISKAPPEARED and the car's running sweet as a nut!

So...are the coil packs somehow linked?

DailyMike.
I am not 100% sure about this but I have definitely witnessed the same behaviour. I think what happens is after certain number on misfires ECU cuts fuel for the misfiring cylinder to stop unburned fuel going in exhaust and damaging cat, that means only air passes through that cylinder, lambda probe reads it as too lean mixture and increases fuel for remaining cylinders, if it gets too rich it will cause misfires on other cylinders. Now again I am not sure but I think it would be fair to assume that ECU is smart enough not to do this and just switch off lambda monitoring when it cuts fuel for 1 cylinder in which case it runs only on MAF readings and if the MAF is a bit out or if injectors are either worn letting more fuel through or partially clogged letting less fuel through then mixture will be wrong and may cause misfires.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure