View Single Post
Old 12th September 2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
From http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000070757.pdf

"... close proximity to electrical units such as TV’s and PC monitors."

I think Audi moved receiver unit from standard recess behind instrument cluster to middle of dashboard for facelift cars because of new colour LCD display that can interfere with long wave reception. Just my guess.

If yes, then perhaps that makes middle of dashboard not a very nice place to fit receiver for cars with RNS-E.

On the other hand most of time car is parked, so LCD screens are off and receiver is always working... Just thinking...
The issue with TVs and monitors referred to is that associated mainly with the broadband radio emission which emanate from cathode ray tube devices such as old TVs and monitors. This is what enabled the old TV detector vans to check that you were watching TV .. and which channel. LCD/LED screens do not have the same problem but there may be some other elemnt of the system which cause problems. You will get stray electro-magnetic fields though from alternators, transformers, motors etc. Long wave HF (3-30Mhz) transmissions are fairly penetrative (much more so than UHF (1.3Ghz) satnav frequencies) and so require considerable shielding e.g. concrete, steel etc to prevent reception.