Thread: Fuel Filter
View Single Post
Old 27th January 2009, 10:00 AM
Director at A8 Parts

Hi there

Changing the Fuel filter isnt too tricky, its located under the rear drivers side just in front of the rear wheel, covered by a plastic shield.
You will probably want to get the rear end of the car up a bit to make it easier and get it onto axle stands as you are going to need your head under the car.

The fuel system is under fairly high pressure so depending on how long the car has been stood and not driven depends on just how much fuel will come out when you remove the filter. Its best to do it after the car has been stood for a while, say overnight, as the pressure subsides a little, be warned it can really spray out! Get some rags ready before you start! If you are in a rush and cant wait overnight then you can always pull the fuse for the fuel pump with the engine running and wait for it to die, but even doing this still leaves some pressure in the system.

To gain access to the filter you will need to remove the plastic shield by undoing the 8mm bolts that hold it in place. Under this you will see the filter and its just a simple swap out proceedure.
I would suggest cracking the bolts slightly and then waiting for the flow of fuel to subside before removing them completely. The New filter will most likely come with new sealing washers so use these, and it should also have an arrow for flow direction so make sure you observe it.

Once fitted and you are happy that all bolts are tight, turn the ignition on until the fuel pump stops whirring, and then off and back on again a few times. This builds up the pressure again. Now make sure it isnt leaking around the filter anywhere. Once happy try and start the engine, if it wont start straight away do the ignition on and off thing a few more times as obviously the new filter needs to be filled with fuel before it will reach the engine.

With my cautious head on I would say check the filter for leaks again after you have driven the car for a short distance, but if you are happy then refit the plastic cover and job done