View Single Post
Old 14th September 2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Hi All

This is a photo of an engine mount (?) on my 2002 S8. It's at the front of the engine on the driver's side and is clearly in need of replacement! The photo is taken from the open bonnet. I have a little knock at slow speeds on rough road surfaces from around this area, so I suspect this might be the culprit. A proper description and part number would be most helpful.

Thanks, Jim
I have replaced mine twice with used part and I think it needs replacing again. Not sure if it's the second hand parts or my driving that makes rubber to rip off the metal base. At least I only paid £10-15 for second hand parts but might try new part and see how that lasts.

Quote:
When you change it, remove some shims from underneath the body bracket so that the bracket sits neatly on the top of the mounting. The reason it fails is that from the factory the bracket is shimmed to the right height but after 15 years all the main engine mounts have sagged so the engine sits 3-4mm lower than when it was made and it tears this mounting in half. Put plenty of penetrating oil in to the mounting bracket threads from above a day before you start since the bracket collects water and the steel bolts go rusty.
I have to say that I never noticed any shims so removing them could help in future as well if they are still there or they may have been already removed before my ownership.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure