View Single Post
Old 11th June 2016, 12:04 PM

Smile Tyre choice feedback, lower noise, better handling and ride

Hi,
Just thought I would feedback experience of a tyre brand change on 4.2TDI Sport D3 running 275 35 20's. Purchased the car back in January and wheels were crying out to be refurbished and tyre were 3.5mm ish. It's was running Yokohama Advan sports all round and had a good alignment history and wear pattern ,the experience on these tyres were that they were noisey, not at all great for stability and at being pushed off line on bumpy roads (nearly as bad as my Boxster S when the tyres have gone hard and are near end of service life. Ride quality was not as I would have expected but I accept that's more subjective. After mush research I went for a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, and had to wait a while for delivery while wheels were refurbed.

The wait was well worth it, noise levels are way down, stability dramatically improved an rough or poor roads.
Compared its old tyres and ride quality has improved as well , I had thought about Dunlop's as Jag seams to love then and are quiet in the XF's I have ridden in but had heard quite a few reports of side walls splits as my Yokohama's had started to.
Well happy with the change to Goodyear and the refurbed silver and diamond cut wheels look great.
The Goodyear's come with a good rim protector too.