View Single Post
Old 9th April 2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
With the aerials tucked up just under the headlining (behind the top of the windscreen shadeband) reception is OK on my drive.
Just to explain that a bit more, there is a printed black border on the windscreen which at the top is overlapped significantly by the headlining on the inside with quite a space behind. The gap between the metal securing trim on the outside down the glass to the edge of the headlining on the inside is almost 40mm. Plenty of room to tuck a thin horizontal aerial in there, so that's what I've done, one each side.
The aerials installed there are totally invisible from inside or outside the car, no matter how closely you look.

With that setup DVB-T reception in a difficult area (my driveway in a valley) is excellent on radio and "mixed" on TV. I'm getting BBC1 and BBC2 and a few other TV channels clearly from Crystal Palace which is about 30 miles away over the Chiltern hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I ran my magic eye under the rear carpets from the boot and into the space under the arm rests in between the front seats (along with the red yellow and white video input cables - in case I ever wanted to plug in an input device like a player or a video cam etc.
Thanks Neil, I've also wondered about that space above the front ashtray, though I'm not sure how to get into it from behind or the side.
My tuner box will almost certainly be at the front, somewhere behind the drivers knee panel. The video converter and reversing camera radio receiver are already in that area.
I don't have an existing TV tuner to tap into so nothing is pulling me to the boot. Even aerials at the rear wouldn't as a pair of aerial leads are easier to hide than a set of A/V cables.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th April 2017 at 07:29 PM.