View Single Post
Old 31st August 2018, 08:13 PM

I was going to start a new thread about it but for the sake of continuity I think I will just continue here.

Not so sure about the second cheap fix; I have not tested pressures but it seems like AC already is not as cool as it was after recharging. A least garage put UV dye in so if it is leaking it should be easier to find a leaks if there are any.

The trim bit with sliding cover was hard to find with any breakers either not responding, saying that they do not have it or that they have sold complete interior or it being wrong colour, i finally got it for £40, not cheap but better than £86 from dealer.

Also replaced adjustable height roof compartment in boot as it was broken beyond repair. Got replacement for £30+5.99P&P which was a great price considering dealer price is £450+ but it was not without it's problems. In the end I made one out of 2 and a bit of glue that actually works , looks the part and does not rattle.

Attacked deteriorated headlight covers sanding them down and re-coating with UV protective lacquer. Looks a million bucks better.

Also spent a lot of time on roof. It was not looking bad , just not black enough but it had some moss/lichen in it. I washed it with cleaner, sponge and brush first, looked a lot better first while wet but a lot worse when dried out as mildly soiled areas cleaned up well but others stood out more. Next step pressure whasher, that got rid of most of green stuff, then copper sulphide solution to kill any remaining moss lichen and the a coat of Fabsil water repellent. 2 weeks later any remaining discoloured bits have one and water just rolls off.

Started cleaning leather seats. They did not look too bad to start with but leather were hard and was getting got worse as I was cleaning it. Rears where not too bad but fronts seems to be possibly covered with some kind of sealant in the past which has soaked up lot of dirt. Rears cleaned up fine with Woolite but for the fronts Woolite was removing some stuff but not other so they became more patchy and worse looking. Next step much more intense citrus+alkaline cleaner which did decent job but made already dry and hard leather even dryer and harder. Several coats of conditioner + red dye they are coming up pretty good but just keep up soaking conditioner so will need couple of more goes.

Also replaced battery cove( did I mention Paul put in new battery in the morning I collected? ) , this is cheap from dealer @ ~£8.50 but I just bought one online for £12.50 with delivery to save time and fuel going to dealers.

Valve cover gaskets were delayed in post from Germany but finally got them yesterday and hopefully will replace them tomorrow which should eliminate oil from leaking on exhaust manifolds and causing dreadful stench.

After that it should be pretty much sorted apart from rust on front wings and shone chips. I have put a sale price in window of £4395 to attract potential buyers but have not advertised it anywhere as I want to sort the leather and valve cover gaskets first.

So far I have had 2 interested persons to bu it but no serious bites.

The way it is now I have advertised it for £4395, this will include both front wing rub down, rust repair, repaint and do the front bumper at the same time as well as it's got a lot of stone chip damage. Or £4k as is or £4.8k with new wings + bumper repainting.

I guess Ian is releaved I won it and saved him a lot of graft.

If anybody from forum is interested I am open do discussion but would not deviate much from my £4k/£4.4K/£4.8k price points mentioned earlier

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 1st September 2018 at 09:43 AM.