View Single Post
Old 15th January 2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
However...

UK vehicle standards state that a car equipped with HID lighting must have headlamp washers and automatic beam levelling. . . . . D
100% agree. Headlamp washers I have, automatic beam levelling . . . . ahem . . moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That has confused a couple of testers in its time but as it all looks factory they always pass it anyway, assuming its just an oddity D
I reckon the MOT assumption is that our D2s pre-date the regulations for all the bells and whistles surrounding the at-the-time new-fangled Xenon bulbs. And, as you say, if it looks Factory on the outside and the beam pattern is good are they really that bothered?

Hopefully so long as the beam pattern doesn't dazzle any oncoming rozzers then no questions will ever be asked. And, if I'm responsible enough to manually adjust the aim depending on the load in the boot or the rear seats then no other road user ought to ever be offended either. At least now the beam is crisp and clear enough to see where it is actually landing on the road ahead.

Should have mentioned that if you were to upgrade to these main beam LEDs then I'd definitely recommend removing the headlights and fitting on the bench / dining room table. The bulbs need to manoeuvred in gently at a bit of an awkward angle. It's a bit of a fiddle but D2 headlights can be removed without dropping or removing the bumper. (see attached ELSA) There's an LED driver block of some sort which needs tucked away or stuck somewhere on the inside the housing and the new +ve/-ve connector blocks benefit from a bit of insulation wrap to cover visible copper. (Brown is -ve on loom and the new leads are helpfully clearly marked +ve/-ve) Reckon it would be do-able but very frustrating to do in-situ. Research proved that the two LEDs are best aligned East-West rather than at any other angle.

Be aware that Philips head screws (ELSA lower '3') will be horrendously rusty and will round at the mere sight of an approaching screwdriver. And the rivnuts into which upper bolts '3' go will likely spin. So, when I said that removing the headlights is easy . . . . bring your Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
The automatic adjuster motor in my offside headlight on the D3 has failed. I've been meaning to fix but again years have passed and it's never been picked up on an MOT. D
Mmm - that's a concern as I'm about to open up the D3 headlights to replace the projector with Aharon EVOX-R 2.0 aftermarkets. Unlike the D2s, these are glued together so this is a bit of a 'fix everything in sight in one go' job. Can we even get adjustment motors for the D3 headlights? My whole D2 headlight refurb in summer stemmed from a dud range control motor needing replaced.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Removing A.en-GB.4D-EA-EA.pdf (104.8 KB, 319 views)

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!