View Single Post
Old 19th September 2009, 01:12 PM
Siena

Now, back to the serious business, the mechanical side, mostly her D2 heart, and 6-speed tranny.

I had measured extensively, and knew the 077 series V8 block would physically fit the B5 engine bay.

I had also seen some examples, one average one, an 079 series S4 motor, from a B6 / B7 S4 in a Canadian B5 A4, which with it's rear chain-driven camshafts, is slightly shorter than both 32 and 40V front belt-driven 077 series from D11, D2 and C5.

A Greek C5 RS6 motor stuffed into a B5 A4, which due to the route the owner took, added a lot of extra forward bias to the car. It utilised a thick adapter plate to mate the auto-only RS6 block to an 01E - it also involved lenghtening the hood, fenders and the bumper sides, as he also had extensions to move the front clip forwards. That was a no-no for me.

Then there was the white S4 that Audi used for R&D purposes in 1998, as a prelude to the B6 S4, which was already being planned, and it was announced it would be V8-powered, rather than the V6 biturbo in the B5. It was entrusted to Audi's then newly acquired subsidiary, Cosworth Technology (now known as Mahle Powertrain) to see what modifications would be required, to get the V8 to fit. It involved radically reworked front end, which I did NOT like - hood, headlamps, grille, bumper, front clip and lower fenders.

Mine had to look like it belonged there, else I wouldn't bother. I'm pleased to say it looks pretty good. Here are some pictures of the different approaches to V8 into B5:

Canadian B5 A4Q with 079 series V8 40V engine install, pairly neat and OEM, works well...

Greek B5 A4Q with C5 RS6 engine install - note how far forward the block is, and the extensions made to relocate the front clip. The hood, fenders and bumper sides will require serious surgery to match, giving the car an odd look...

Audi UK / Cosworth Technology B5 S4 with 077 series V8 40V install - note the modified front end...

And my version. Only cutting mine required was the fibreglass fron clip / radiator frame. All metal work is unmolested, and the car still looks stock with the hood closed...