Thread: Wheel Spacers
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
I don't know much about the spacers on Big Red.
They were on the car when I bought it.

I've not even measured them to see f they are the same width front/back.
In fact, I'll know less than MJ about my own spacers.
All I know is that they make the car look better.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I wouldn't know if they were "bolt-to-the-hubs" or "bolts-straight-through" spacers. And I don't even know if they would be suitable to swap over to the S8 either (I don't know if the suspension on an S8 is that much different to that on a 2.8QS, possibly resulting in any clearance issues that I don't currently get with the 2.8).
They are bolt-through, 15 front, 20 rear iirc. They will swap straight over to the S8, including the bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
You don't think one of the refurbished wheels might be a little bent? Would that give the same symptoms?
A buckled wheel could do that, but it would have to be pretty bad. I think try jacking it up first and see if there is any visible run-out. A simple trick is to put something heavy just barely touching the edge of the tyre (brick, can of oil etc) and spin the wheel by hand. You'll hear and see if there is any run out as it intermittently touches and doesn't touch the heavy thing.

One other thing - did you get those exact bolts in the listing? They are taper-seat and for aftermarket wheels. If you're using genuine FE wheels then you need radius-seat bolts. Big Red was the same so I swapped them out for the proper ones. They shouldn't cause a wobble, but they won't torque up properly and put all the load on the wheel in the wrong place.

Taper vs radius:

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 23rd May 2018 at 09:29 PM.