View Single Post
Old 5th October 2021, 04:08 PM

With the electricity prices going up the cost gap between ICE and EV is narrowing. With a typical ICE if you get 15-20p per mile, in electric car you get about 3 miles per kWh(maybe 4 on smaller cars) with the average price now about 20p/kWh it's about 7p/mile. It can be cheaper if you are still on cheaper fixed tariff or if you have cheap off peak night rate but what will happen when the deal comes to the end?

Prices on public superchargers are going up, Tesla is the cheapest from 24p/kWh depending on location, Ionity is the most expensive 69p UK, €0.79 in Europe which is the same or more per mile than ICE. Because of that it was very important for me to get Model S with free supercharging. Not much help if you do not have one near you and you don't go near one on your regular travels. My nearest is 17 miles away but I am passing about 100 metres from it most of days so I just stop by and top up. I have done over 2100 miles now in 4 weeks and only spent about £5 charging at home with rest being superchargers and free public chargers like at Tesco, shopping centres ect.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure