View Single Post
Old 1st July 2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Quoted from Black Circles - the same quoted elsewhere:

There is a school of thought that a slightly older ‘new’ tyre will last longer as they’ve hardened a bit in storage so won’t go through that heavy initial wear that very recently cured new tyres will go through

Basically if you’ll use up these tyres before they get to an age where they might be cracking or hardening then nothing to worry about

ETA - storage conditions are key with tyres - dark and consistent temperature are important.
I agree with this - I've never had an issue with slightly "older" tyres, and my opinion (not expert!) is that, in terms of degradation of tyre materials, it's the rubber rather than the other component materials that you need to be careful with. That's pretty easy to spot as cracking or hardening, either by yourself or via the tyre fitter.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.