Thread: PV Gurus?
View Single Post
Old 5th February 2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
I'm looking to fit a PV array on my garage roof. I'm happy with all aspects up to the company fuze and the local company does not need notification of grid below 4KwH.
I'm looking to do a 2Kw tracking system as a first step to going off grid. A water wheel in our stream is next.
The only part I'm not sure about is the ability to detect a power failure of the supply to the house and the ability to automatically disconnect from the mains in the event of a blackout. This would protect power workers downstream from the house.
Any advice gratefully received.
��
CtL
I'm surprised the DNO does not require notification as any connection to the 'grid' (don't like the term. It means a connection 132kV and above to me) has to be G83 compliant. If you're not connecting it to your DNO supply then you can basically do what you want. I'm not sure why you want to connect it either. The FIT (feed in tariff) and price per unit hardly makes it worthwhile these days.

The inverter should already have means of isolating the supply for faults both on the DNO side and faults on the PV (loss of supply, ROCOF vector shift etc.)

The hydro scheme may cause you some issues as well as it's a roatating machine (generator) and may require G59/3 protection if you're going to connect it to the 'grid' depending on its size.

It's been a while since I've done one of these so I'll confirm some details tomorrow and let you know.

I'd personally increase your PV size and look at a battery storage solution instead.

It's what I'll be looking at in the future when the battery costs come down a bit.

Cheers

THE WHALE IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER... errr but leaking again