View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Personally I have a synology NAS box (DS211J) ......Synology have a pile of tools available to help remote access, quick connect, etc... regardless of IP.
I do the same - I have a synology box (I used to have a PC running XPenology - it's a version of the synology software that can be installed onto non-synology equipment - before upgrading to the real thing) and use the VPN server built into give me access to my LAN, it supports dynamic DNS services so I access via a URL instead of IP address and then use RDP for my PC, though I would proably go for VNC in your case as I've always felt that it's less bandwidth intensive if you need access to a GUI. You'll need to set up some port re-direction on your router for the VPN to connect the external address to the internal synology server.

I prefer this as it allows me to expose some services to the internet so they can be browsed directly via https, but also store backups, photos, VCDS logs etc which I can access once I'm in on the VPN. The VPN puts you directly connected to your home network, so can access anything on it, so you can access http pages of your router for config, VNC any machines running the server, or even use SSH via a serial server for console access.

The synology boxes have varying capability and power so so some can run semi-virtualised systems (using docker containers) and support USB-TV so streaming live (or recorded) UK TV abroad is a possibility.

If you have a spare PC kicking around, have a look at XPEnology. In full tin-foil hat mode, I ran two of these so that the VPN connected to a physically different machine to where my data was stored before investing in a real one.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain