View Single Post
Old 26th March 2020, 09:45 AM

After driving my S8 and guzzling 72.8 litres of fuel from the tank, I am happy to report that the car started more or less instantly each time, and was down to the reserve with the petrol bowser tell tale indicator showing in the cluster display when I finally filled up.

This indicates to me that I must have installed the fuel pump housing properly and that it is safe for me to assume that this particular repair measure is complete. The Audi documentation says that I should perform a certain fuel leak test on an empty tank, but I think that I can forgo this and just drive the car with confidence. Yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yay!
I'll second that! I am so relieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
Triple yay from me. The documentation was an interesting read. I'm so pleased you got it sorted.
Glad you found the pdf interesting. The repair was an adventure for me and an exercise in patience! I am also very pleased to have fixed the problem with so little diagnostics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Nicely done!

I wouldn't have thought it necessary to "celebrate with several whiskeys" after sitting in the boot for hours getting high on petrol fumes.
Thank you, thank you! My sense of smell has suffered since the back seat of my C4 A6 Avant caught on fire during a road trip a couple of years ago. I had to drag the seat out of the car and put the fire out with a bottle of orange juice.

I think that lack of smell affected me psychologically when I did this job, because I could not really smell the petrol and so, did not get high on the fumes. (Kind of like the logic of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal if you have read Douglas Adams) Consequently, I felt that I did need to celebrate with some whiskey!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200315_193858000.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	23071