View Single Post
Old 26th January 2018, 05:03 PM

Hi There,

Had another issue with this. Error'd a couple of days ago after the day of storms!

Brought it inside and broke things down a bit more thoroughly this time as it was obvious there was water ingress and things silted up.

The motor is two screws to attach, but in removing the brakes as well we found that there would be some form of rubber washer sealing this. It was missing and whomever had used some form of silicone and it had failed and there was a fair bit of aluminium exfoliation (not rust, but white powder) and I think this was the core failure.

Cleaned everything back up and got it all moving and free again and put it back together. Used a gasket sealer as i didn't have the rubber washer and it doesn't fully dry or shrink, so should have better longevity!

And NOTHING.....faults wouldn't clear, added brake pads to the faults and even basic settings at times.

Pulled it in again today and popped the wheel off and just the motor. Connector had power and was doing things. The motor when off the caliper would run.

When putting the brakes back together i had to manually back off the EPB and used a driver in the back of the brake caliper where the motor fits. I wondered if it was up against a hard stop.

I removed the motor, backed this off to a loose mid position (as it was unknown, but neither end) I then fitted the motor back.
I then used VCDS in "open for repair" which worked and then "close after repair" which also worked. Then "Brake Test" and Bingo!!!

Seems the EPB motor was at a limit and as such returning the wrong current / load for what was expected and i'm guessing testing like a broken motor!

Up and running again

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)