View Single Post
Old 27th September 2018, 04:16 PM

Carista is basic, but uses a cheap dongle you may have for other things (i did). You can download and test the app without buying it and see what you can do on your car with it. It's simple, limited but will give you codes and some ideas of what is going on. It's better than a basic scan tool.

ODB11 is pretty good. I keep my dongle in the car ash tray as it's useful when traveling. Cost for the dongle is reasonable and there are two versions of the software. Uses a smart phone and gives you almost as much information as VCDS, though it's more powerful if you know how to use VCDS and can look up procedures.
I just did my rear brakes with it rather than getting out the laptop and you CAN do almost all of what VCDS does, though I'd argue the adaption / basic settings are easier to use on VCDS

VCDS is the rolls royce of DIY VAG cars. Original cables are a few hundred and you need a laptop. You need to be careful buying second hand that it IS an original.
Decent clone cables are still expensive (~£50) and locked to a specific older version of software, come with no support and are a bit hit and miss.
Cheap cables (£5-£20) 490.1 are REALLY old and limited to a shareware / hacked shareware version. This way frustration lies

ODIS / VAS 6154 - Dealer level stuff. Either old or Clone stuff. Some of it needs online accounts. I've been occasionally tempted to play

Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)