View Single Post
Old 21st May 2019, 08:14 PM

I am glad someone has mentioned something other than diesel cars in an environmental argument. I have a client in the energy sector and was stunned to read the info below. And to think of the stick VAG got for being a bit cagey in their claims about emissions...

The 16 biggest ships produce more pollution than all the cars in the World. Every day.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ping-pollution

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...pollutionwatch

Quote:
The new study by the Danish government's environmental agency adds to this picture. It suggests that shipping emissions cost the Danish health service almost £5bn a year, mainly treating cancers and heart problems. A previous study estimated that 1,000 Danish people die prematurely each year because of shipping pollution. No comprehensive research has been carried out on the effects on UK coastal communities, but the number of deaths is expected to be much higher.

Europe, which has some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, has dramatically cleaned up sulphur and nitrogen emissions from land-based transport in the past 20 years but has resisted imposing tight laws on the shipping industry, even though the technology exists to remove emissions. Cars driving 15,000km a year emit approximately 101 grammes of sulphur oxide gases (or SOx) in that time. The world's largest ships' diesel engines which typically operate for about 280 days a year generate roughly 5,200 tonnes of SOx.

Quote:
That pollution largely goes unnoticed because it largely happens far out at sea, but ships in seaports have become major pollution hazards on land. In fact, particulates emitted from ships were estimated to cause 60,000 deaths each year worldwide, according to a study in 2007.

Shipping is the only sector in the world not subject to cutting greenhouse gas emissions, and was left out of the UN’s Paris accord on this pollution. When the EU Parliament recently outlined plans to tackle shipping greenhouse gases in Europe Union waters, the shipping industry was not keen on any change.
Sickening.

But it's all our fault for running diesel cars, OK?