Thread: Evapo-rust
View Single Post
Old 26th February 2020, 02:13 PM

Default Evapo-rust

I've mentioned Evapo-rust in a couple of threads today so thought I would expand on it. Its a relatively new to the UK rust-eating solution that is, as far as I can tell, magic. Its not acidic, not alkaline, not phospor-based, biodegradable, safe to handle, and non-toxic, yet somehow rusty steel comes out completely clean, usually after just an overnight soak. Scrape off any chunky rust beforehand obviously so it has less work to do.

Available on Amazon here, it comes in various sizes but the only one which makes financial sense is the gallon. Pour it in to a plastic container and let it do its thing. It doesn't affect paint, rubber, plastics or aluminium.

I can find nothing online about how this stuff works (ergo magic), but its rapidly becoming ubiquitous. Almost all the youtube automotive or engineering channels I watch are using it for cleaning or restoring tools, car parts, machinery etc. I've bought two gallons so far, cleaned loads of things with it, and its still working. There's a bunch of sediment in the bottom of the container which I decant every now and then, and its changed from yellow to green, but its still as effective as it was when it was new.

The gel is less effective and substantially more expensive so I don't use that much, but if something can be dunked in a bucket, game on