Thread: Evapo-rust
View Single Post
Old 27th February 2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Thanks for the tip MJ.

I'm guessing that whatever is in the stuff likes oxygen (even more than iron does) and is able to react with the oxygen in the iron, removing it and therefore reversing the rusting process.

But presumably that would make it react with the oxygen in the air too, causing it to become saturated if not kept in a sealed container? .... unless it somehow reacts only with certain oxides ...
I think the "magic" explanation is better Mark

I think the explanation lies with it being described as a "Chelator". Chelation is a type of bonding of ions and molecules to metal ions. It involves the formation or presence of two or more separate coordinate bonds between a polydentate (multiple bonded) ligand and a single central atom. These ligands are called chelants, chelators, chelating agents, or sequestering agents. They are usually organic compounds.
Chelation is useful in applications such as providing nutritional supplements, in chelation therapy to remove toxic metals from the body, as contrast agents in MRI scanning, in manufacturing using homogeneous catalysts, in chemical water treatment to assist in the removal of metals, and in fertilizers. (Wikipedia explanation ....... not mine!!)

Last edited by David's8; 27th February 2020 at 08:01 AM.