View Single Post
Old 12th February 2019, 08:46 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
I know I am a Luddite when it comes to EVs, and this kinda sums it up for me

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...wkaAomfvkplIBU

How can they build something as lovely as that and ruin it by not fitting the V8 in it..we live in sad times indeed IMHO. If I ever have grandkids (unlikely really)
they will never experience the raw noise of a V12, V10 or V8 and I think that's rather sad.
I know exactly what you mean Brian.

For me it's not just the sound. It's the power, the science, the engineering achievement and the thought of all those precisely machined parts moving in perfect harmony, at an incredible rate. And it's the awe I feel from seeing all of that in an engine large enough to accelerate a great deal of weight very quickly.

But I get all of that by experiencing a powerful EV too, just in a very different way. As the electricity rushes into those powerful motors and they urgently whir into life, rapidly accelerating the car with such force, it's still a thrilling sound to hear. The moving parts are fewer but I feel a similar sense of awe and achievement thinking about the electronics and computations that are making it all happen (but I'm an electronics engineer so maybe that's just me).

What I'm trying to say is that one does not replace the other for me. I like big engines and fast EVs for similar, yet quite different, reasons.

And I don't think your grandkids or mine (even less likely since I don't even kids!) wouldn't really need to miss out on the V8/10/12 experience. They may never know what it's like to drive one on a daily basis but I suspect there will always be plenty of combustion-engined vehicles preserved for posterity.

As Stephen implies, our V8/10/12s are the steam trains of the future, and steam trains have never really gone away (not for me anyway; I live less than a mile from the East Lancs steam railway so I hear them most days!). And personally, in much the same way, I find a modern high-speed train just as thrilling to watch as an old powerful steam locomotive.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 12th February 2019 at 09:22 PM.