View Single Post
Old 31st December 2019, 09:19 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I don't doubt it, though they won't be capable - and anyway Mark, I was quoting the VAG execs who were promising this capable competitor, not another foreign upstart to their market share.
I got that; I was just joking.
Although I do suspect the Chinese will become capable competitors sooner than we might expect, and this move by Tesla to begin manufacturing in China will probably be a factor in accelerating that. Probably unlikely we'll see direct clones/copies (at least not outside of China) but I have no doubt that any skills and knowledge gained at Chinese Tesla factories will inevitably spill over into other Chinese factories, who will then build on (and likely improve) the Tesla tech. That's usually how it goes.

You're right though. VAG and most other manufacturers are barely off the starting grid, while Tesla are beginning to complete their first laps. It's going to be very difficult for most of the big manufacturers to catch up now. Perhaps they are destined to become resellers of re-badged Chinese Tesla clones!
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust