View Single Post
Old 8th September 2022, 04:02 PM

You should be able to get permission for more power but they can ask you to limit export power to the grid. Most modern inverters have this option. I am not being paid for export as I installed it myself and they only offer to pay if MCS certified. So I have set mine to 500w max export even when they had no objections for me connecting 4.8kW panels/5kW inverter without limitations. Only thing was that it needs to be commissioned within 3 months from granting permit or they may allocate capacity to somebody else and then if they have no spare capacity later then I would need to limit it to 16A/3.68kW

There are some hybrid inverters with dual input solar+wind or hydro and even some with battery attached to it as well.

I have Fox ESS all in one solar/battery, it did come with meter and a CT clamp and you can use either to see energy flow. I used CT clamp on the incoming mains cable and inverter can see how much energy is flowing from or to grid. When the battery is not full it will try to keep import/export at 0, use whatever is needed for the house and use excess solar to charge batteries. When the battery is full it will send excess power to the grid and export can be limited to whatever I want from 0-6000W. If there is not enough or no solar generation it will use battery to supply house but will keep export close to 0, it will not drain battery supplying grid. It has also option to set 2 charging periods per 24h from grid. At the moment 90%
I use is from solar and I hardly export anything, if I have surplus solar I just use it to charge car so I am probably using 85-90% of what I generate.When the days get shorter and darker I will not generate enough from solar so will switch on charging from 00:30-04:30 with Octopus Go at 7.5p/kWh and then use it from battery during day instead of using grid at 40p or whatever it will be now.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure