View Single Post
Old 13th February 2018, 06:50 PM

Default Have I Just Lost It Or Just Discovered I'd Already Lost It?

Well, I've finally lost the plot... or at least finally realised it

Having now got the S8, I've been having a casual glance around it to see what needs done to it. One was three of the buttons on the front climate control unit looking a little worse for wear. A quick browse around eBay, and I bought a working replacement. Mind the W word for later.

A few days later and it arrives and all the buttons are fine. Now I had to figure out how to remove the buttons from the unit without damaging any part of it, as that's all I wanted, the rest of the unit being posted off to someone else on here for experimentation.

A little later and I've removed 16 T6 screws and a couple of ribbon connectors, so freeing up the buttons. Part one complete! Wee buns!

Now the next part, removing my existing climate control unit from the car. I've never worked on any D3s before, so first job was figuring out how to remove the top trim off the centre console. A YouTube video later, and I'm rearing to go.

Jump in the car, gear lever out of the way, and less than ten minutes later I have the unit in my hand. Back to head indoors again. We're on a roll with this!

I've already dismantled the first unit to get the buttons off, so this is going to be a doddle... and so it is. I put the replacement faceplate with buttons on my unit, connect the ribbon connectors, secure the 16 T6 screws with ease, and I'm ready to head back to the car.

Back in the car, it's put it all back together again in reverse, start the car and check everything works 100%. Back indoors again, rebuild the replacement unit with the faceplate from mine, package it up ready for posting, and time to send a PM to the other person. Not even breaking a sweat. This is easy peasy!

...and then the penny dropped

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Confused 2.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	17942  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds