View Single Post
Old 26th April 2017, 06:50 PM

Default Grim D2 S8 Brakes...

So my handbrake has 4 clicks (and more if you want it to hold the car in place) and shoddy judder under braking at motorway speeds.

My assumption was that it was always a faulty adjuster on the rear calliper.

When you would lift off the brakes gently from a standstill, you could hear the fronts dis-engage at different times, reinforcing the idea that an adjuster was away, and the brake balance was off - something I have dealt with on multiple old Audi's.

So the rear (drivers side) calliper off and the attached shows it's sorry state.

And the front brake had far heavier worn pads than the other side, and of course there's a warped disk somewhere in amongst it all. (Assuming that the D2's are the same opposing 2 circuit brake setup as all old Audi's) then it all adds up.

New pads, skimmed disks are the future for me.

The rear callipers are en-route to Bigg Red to make them wonderful again. Could fix them myself for a fraction of the price, but getting them done properly will mean another 100k without worrying about them.

Figured I'd post a wee bit about this if it helps anyone else. Simple fundamental stuff for most mechanics, but for the guy keen with a spanner wanting to make sure their own motor is kept in top condition, this stuff can be handy!