View Single Post
Old 10th June 2011, 12:47 AM

Default Is the D2 a 'Classic Car?'

Fellow petrolheads.

I know what a "classic car" is.

I've got a Sunbeam Tiger in the garage and frankly it would eat the S8 alive. It is a 'true' classic.

The S8 gets a lot of miles though, and I was just thinking, which is the real 'classic'? Is it the S8 or the Tigger?

OK, the Tigger's 45 years old. The speedo goes to 140 and then at the bottom it says 'MPH'. I've had it round to 'H'.
It's a car for escapees from the Carstairs home for the Criminally Insane. The State Mental Hospital.

My Chum's had it round to 'M', but he's braver than I am.

Both are 4.2 V8's and both are giant gas-hogs! While the Tigger was the lusted after thing back in the sixties (mine's a 1965) the S8 is quite well respected today, I think.

The Tiger cost a fortune to run back in 1965 and only those who careth not ran them. Bit like the Audi really.

The D2 is a total honey as long as you can fuel it, last fill up was £110, and I was just thinking, in that way you start thinking when you've had a few beers, that the old D2 has all the makings of a future classic.
You know, lousy fuel consuption, extravagent spec, high price, etc.

But is there a better car? And is the D2 destined for classic status, or is it just another old Audi?

It's the best car that I have ever owned, bar none.

A peerless, quiet, powerful car that has never elicited a bad word from any passenger.

I mean, what IS a classic?

You know what I think?.... It's a car that people like. And people like the D2.

Utterly, SonderKlasse!

Last edited by Simon Wallwork; 10th June 2011 at 01:44 AM.