View Single Post
Old 10th June 2011, 09:29 AM

Having owned a Tiger, a Daimler SP250 'Dart' & a Jensen Interceptor, Aston V8, a modified XR4i, XJ12C , numerous other old 'powerful' RWD cars, and still in ownership of a rather modified 1968 Rover P5B Coupe, I understand where you're coming from.

Whilst I love my D2 S8, modern cars just aren't as 'involving' as the 'classics' to drive, I 'cut my teeth' driving powerful rear wheel drive cars on dodgy skinny crossplies

With that type of car, what I love is the ability to turn apparently terminal understeer into throttle induced oversteer - there's nothing quite like it to set the car up for the next bend

Most 'youngsters' of the FWdrive generation are terrified by my driving style when I get a little 'enthusiastic', as they've never experienced this.

To me Front Drive feels & is all wrong, it terrifies me when I wish to make 'progress'

I hate the inbuilt understeer in most modern cars, first thing to be addressed (rear roll bar upgrade etc) whenn owning one.

Modern cars just totally lack any kind of 'soul', even if it is the exhilarating kind that needs to be kept on a leash in case it bites you hard upon your A-R-S-E

I love my S8 D2 for a different reason, but its still possible to drive reasonably quickly and provoke the tail, even with the inherent understeer, what isn't so confidence inspiring is the braking when driven in that manner on the 'lanes' around here (same for the lighting at night). Its also very controllable & without any drama when its 'sideways' at 130, as I found out on the M4 when some **** in a VR32 pulled out on me before checking his mirror, forcing me up the central reservation (in the rain)

But I do agree that the D2 has classic lines, and is a potential future classic, everyone thought I was mad when I bought my P5B back in 1980 for £150, but a few years later prices went through the roof. I wish I still had my Tiger, and the rest of those I've mentioned that I sold for a 'song'

Hindsight is always 20/20 (or 6/6 in modernspeak)

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!